Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A Light Goes Out In Chicago



First thing I hear on the car radio this morning is "Johnny Frigo is dead." And the day only got worse.

Music lost a composer, bassist, violinist, and goodwill ambassador today. He was a classy guy - and inspired myself and all who met and/or played with him. My own chops were never on his level, so I never dared to ask to sit in on any of his numerous gigs around town. Frigo was a master musician and a very gentle soul who ruled the cabaret scene with Joe Zito on piano in the 90's.

But that was merely the 90's. Decades before, he distinguished himself in the Jimmy Dorsey Big Band, and recorded with guitarist Herb Ellis and bassist Ray Brown. Barbra Streisand and Dinah Washington hired him to play on their albums. And on two occasions, he appeared on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, as a solo artist.

I last saw him at the Green Mill, sitting in on a couple numbers with Jackie Allen . He was in his late 80's but still playing beautifully and cracking jokes in between songs. It was apparent why Chico Marx had hired him years earlier for his own touring show-band.

He will be missed.

2 comments:

Perdita said...

I'm sorry I never got to hear him when he was alive, but I enjoyed hearing about him from you.

I'll see you at songwriter night on Wednesday!

Chicago Dave said...

Frigo was quite a talent, and with him went a huge part of local and national jazz history.

Here's a weird observation: Many important American figures have either been born or died on holidays.

Died July 4th - Johnny Frigo, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams

Born July 4th - Louis Armstrong

Died Christmas Day - James Brown

Born New Years Day - J.D. Salinger

Not that I'm equating every single one with the other...can you imagine how the Constitution would read if Salinger were the author ? Ha ha - Now THAT'S a comedy premise !!!






























OK - so much for the jokes - See you at Songwriter Night.