Sunday, June 03, 2007

THOSE TWO LITTLE WORDS

the wonderful smoke
of her final words

"hopefully soon"...

drifts in circles
this early June afternoon
as I pass the time
collecting copper in
small baskets

the radio breaks in
to announce traffic and weather
as paper is stacked and
counted and stacked again

"hopefully soon"...

swirls about and I
try to remember why I bother
getting out of bed or
tying my shoes

war at center stage
viruses waiting in the wings
and no exits anywhere

but closing my eyes
I can draw those words in belly-deep
the scent of woodfire and
lilac closing around
a lost lake in the hills

"hopefully soon"...

(C)2007DaveDonovan


BAR STAFF

the waitresses
are in sleeves of spring
3/4 length soft and pastel
shades of
rose
yellow
ivory

lighting the room in
tones from an Easter ballet

sherbet swirls of movement
passing over the oak floor
in ribbons of purpose

I settle in at the corner
spying over my paper
and the sun approves.

(C)2007DaveDonovan

No comments: