Saturday, February 04, 2006

The Run-On

I had no plans until 10:00 Saturday night when I showered and picked out a shirt and went to the corner bar to watch a silent film with live music just like my grandparents did when they had a stretch of Saturday nights ahead of them and it was Laurel and Hardy backed by a quartet of ukeleles looped through pedals of distortion and calliope-ness into a dark room of perfect strangers watching perfect slapstick but the concession stand was better and afterward there was intelligent discussion, laughter, and spirited exchange over imported bottles of friendship when in walked Amanda with her brand new puppy Starship who was an adorable beagle and enthusiastic walker and sniffer of boots and I jumped up and kissed Amanda on the cheek and was glad to see her for the first time in many a time though she is with someone else and will be too for many a time to come and that is just fine too so after 1:00 I said my goodbyes and stepped out into the January darkness and stopped off for a six-pack to-go and stepped back out into Saturday blackness and passed a police wagon cruising for trouble and i turned the corner into a short alley over to my street and fired up a secret smoke that nobody saw then turned again onto the sidwalk and saw no cats on the way home but that was OK.